Green smoothies are a tasty, nutritious and filling breakfast or evening snack option. They incorporate the goodness of greens and the sweetness and energy provided by fruits. Greens are one food group that generally goes lacking in our every day diet, as the only way to incorporate raw greens is in salads. The moment we cook greens, the chlorophyll inside gets destroyed . Hence Green Smoothies are our answer to packing in appropriate amount of green in our diet. They are low fat, alkaline, and high on micro nutrition.
Greens have one of the strongest molecular structures on the planet and hence need to be either chewed really well or broken down in a blender to release the anti cancer properties they contain.
It is best to rotate your greens on at least a weekly basis.
A good way to make the Green Smoothie is –
- Pick a major green – Spinach, Amaranth green, Collard green, beet green, kale, lettuce, Hari maat, Raddish green
- Add a bunch of herbs/minor greens – mint, coriander, parsley, celery, betel leaf, curry leaves, or basil.
- Add a fruit – Banana, chikku, pear, apple, peaches, berries (or any other)
- Add a flavor enhancer – dash of cinnamon, black pepper, lemon, orange zest, dates and raisins ( if you like to sweeten in more).
Below are seven combinations, one for each of the coming week, before you go on to create your own 🙂
- 1 banana, ½ cup pineapple, 10 leaves of spinach/hari maat/ beet green leaves.
- 1 banana, bunch of coriander, bunch of khata bhaji, 2 dates (or more to sweeten), dash of lemon
- ½ cup pineapple, 1 cup coconut water, ½ cup coconut meat, 10 leaves of spinach/hari maat/beet green leaves .
- 5 leaves of Kale, 2 frozen bananas, 6 leaves of spinach
- 1 cup mixed berries, 10 leaves of kale, coconut water
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, juice of ½ lime, 2 -3 frozen large bananas, slightly defrosted, 1 tsp orange zest, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1 tbsp soaked raisins
- 1 Apple/pear, 1 chikoo, 10 leaves of spinach, handful of coriander and Sorrel (khata bhaji).
Steps to make the smoothie :-
- Wash and chop all ingredients.
- Add the leafy greens first and blend with a bit of water. Add the other ingredients and blend thoroughly ( it will take 2 to 3 minutes)
- There is no need to strain. Drink whole, one sip at a time. Let your saliva mix with the green.
- Experiment with quantities and flavors.
- Start with 1 glass in the morning. Slowly increase quantity to 3 to 4 glasses during the day.
For best results, drink fresh, do not store. But if you need to, store in a flask for not more than a couple of hours.