Glutenfree / (With Raw version)
‘Tis the season of red carrots!
And Gaajar Ka Halva!
I am not a big fan of Indian sweets, but Gaajar ka halva has my heart.
The recipe that I am sharing today is versatile, so easy to make and delicious as hell! Dont take my word for it, try it out and you’ll know. .
What else makes it work : – it uses no oil/ghee (trust me you wont miss it) – it replaces milk and ‘khoya’ with healthier fats – coconut and cashew nut. So no animal protein, hormones or pus cells. But works equally well if not better. – Sugar is replaced with dates and raisins. No blood sugar spikes and a sweetness that is just so much better! .
Don’t take my word for any of the above. Try the recipe and let me know how it went! (Scroll to the bottom for a fully raw version)
INGREDIENTS (Serves 3-4)
3 cups finely grated carrot
1 cup grated fresh coconut
1/2 cup powdered cashew nut
1.5 cups soft dates
1 tsp cardamom powder
2-3 tbsp chopped raisins (to garnish)
2-3 cashew nuts (to garnish)
1. Steam the carrots for 3-4 min till soft.
2. Once cooled, mash the dates with the carrots with your hands.
3. In a wok dry roast the cardamom.
4. Add the carrots, coconut and cashew nut powder and cook for a few minutes (can cover with a lid as well) till soft and you can get all the aromas.
5. Mix the raisins. Garnish with cashew nuts and serve hot or cold.
RAW VERSION – Take all the ingredients and mix them together. Keep aside for about 30 min till all flavours are well mixed. Serve